Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Island in the Blue Bay


"I will live my life as a lobster man's wife on an island in the blue bay.
He will take care of me, he will smell like the sea,
And close to my heart he'll always stay.
I will bear three girls all with strawberry curls, little Ella and
Nelly and Faye.
While I'm combing their hair, I will catch his warm stare
On our island in the blue bay."
~Ingrid Michaelson, Far Away

This song pretty much sums up what I want in life. It isn't so much these particular details, however the concept is what I want and what I have always dreamed of. Living in today's society woman have made huge strides in professional fields. While I think it is great for woman to have these opportunities, I myself have never really been driven into a particular career. Lately I've been wondering why it is that woman are so much more driven to have a career rather than a family; Or more so why it seems women with careers are more respected as independent and driven. I don't think one life path is necessarily better than the rest, however sometimes I think just being a stay and home mom gets a bad rep. More than anything, I just want a family. When you really think about it, what is more important than being with people you love and who love you in return. I want my own island in the blue bay.

2 comments:

  1. reading this made me miss our talks...and it made me realize that i also want my own island in the blue bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. I hate to admit it, but I often feel embarrassed to say that I am "just" a stay-at-home mom. I feel the need to explain that I have a Master's to somehow show that I have accomplished something. I have alway wanted a career, but I know that my daughter is so much more important than myself and she deserves to be raised by her parents, not strangers. Society definitely has it backwards.

    ReplyDelete