Sunday, November 7, 2010

Romeo and Juliet in Chicago

Just like I promised in my last post, I have more interesting things to say this time. Wednesday night marked my very first play at Chicago's Shakespeare Theater. It really was everything I hoped it would be.

The bus left school at 3:30pm and we were in Chicago by 5:00pm. The show didn't start until 7:30 so we had time to eat, walk around Navy Pier, and get some coffee at Starbucks. It's moments like these when I absolutely love being an English major. Talking about books and plays over a Cinnamon Dulce latte is good for my soul.

The play wasn't set in Shakespearean time. When I walked into the theater I wasn't sure if the road blocks I saw were actually part of the play or not. I was somewhat disappointed that the actors weren't in Shakespearean costume, but I got over that quickly enough. The stage was amazing as the dark, ghetto street set was contrasted with the bright and beautiful chandeliers insides the Capulet's mansion. I absolutely loved the whole set.

My favorite part of the play was, of course, Mercutio. This character adds so much to the written play, but seeing him perform in the flesh was ten times better. He is hilariously sarcastic but with just the flip of a switch he becomes terrifyingly serious.

The only problem with the play, I would say, is Romeo and Juliet; especially Juliet. Instead of seeing two innocent but passionate lovers, all I saw was two hormonal, obnoxious (especially Juliet) teenagers. Granted Juliet is only 14 in the play and they probably were hormonal, but you never see them mature throughout the play. Romeo and Juliet are two kids who very suddenly get put in a very adult situation. I would have liked to see Juliet rise somewhat to the circumstance and become a woman. There was little to no spark between the lovers throughout the play, and Juliet began at a pitch impossible to exemplify during the second half, and climax, of the play. Poor acting.

You might think that if the main characters of the play are horrible the whole play is, but you would be wrong. Romeo and Juliet aren't the really the main focus of this play. This is a tragedy, not a love story. The feud between the Montague's and the Capulet's is really the central issue and the actors here did a fabulous job illustrating the anger and bitterness between the two families.

Overall, this play was amazing. I would love to go see As You Like It, playing January 5 to March 6 (hint, hint Samuel Schultz).

1 comment: