Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Forget Me Not.

One thing I'm afraid of is forgetting. I'm not so concerned with major events, but with little details. Feelings, smells, smiles, touches, the words that were never said but still rang loud and clear. There is nothing like that moment when a long lost memory sneaks into your mind and suddenly you're there, right back where the memory took place. It makes me wonder why it's been tucked away so tight my mind, and I wish it would surface more often.
There are things in my life that I never want to forget. People I don't want to lose. Namely Sam Schultz. So what can I do to make sure I don't forget the details of our story? Write it down, some of it anyway.

-leadership camp, the way my stomach would tighten at the sight of him
- getting the chance to talk to him with no one else around, our first real conversation
- when he let me where his hat
- foliage man
- the way he makes me laugh
- the thrill of his kisses in the library when Mrs. Sigler wasn't there
- spring nights, sipping slushies at the dam
- summer nights laying on the basketball court
-monster parties
- secrets
- the ache of a long distance relationship
- the anticipation of seeing him again
- being at college together
- the way he hugs me first thing when we get back to his apartment
- exploring the ice-bergs and the frozen lighthouse
- naps
- riding our bikes in the fall
- the time we laid on his living room floor laughing hysterically over... nothing
- Chuck and How I Met Your Mother marathons

These are just a few of the things I've shared with him, things I want to hold on to no matter what happens. This boy means everything to me. We've been together for 2 years, and it's amazing how much relationships can grow, through all the changes that takes place. When I think of past relationships, it's hard to remember the details, the things that made it worthwhile at the time. But the truth is, real relationships aren't easy to forget.
So here's to remembering. The little things, the ones you love or maybe the one's you've lost.
"One's first love is always perfect until one meets one's second love." -Elizabeth Aston

1 comment: