Thursday, October 13, 2011

What I'm Reading

1. Jane Eyre, By Charlotte Bronte
The first time I read this book I was about 12 years old. About half-way through it creeped me out so bad that I couldn't bring myself to finish it. Give me a break; what isn't creepy about strange laughter permeating throughout a mysterious mansion? Lucky, I was given another chance to read it for Women's Lit. I cannot describe to you how much I love this book. The depth of emotion, the struggle between heart and mind, the tension of moral uprightness in the darkest of circumstances, is incredibly heart wrenching and... brilliant. Read it. You MUST read it. And I dare you to not feel sorry for Mr. Rochester.

2. The Age of Innocence, By Edith Wharton, and A Room of One's Own, By Virginia Woolf
Both of these books were read in Women's Lit. The Age of Innocence gives a remarkable portrayal of Old New York; a topic that I had never read about and did not have much insight on. The descriptions are detailed, but not tedious and they make it easy to put yourself directly in the story; like you yourself are following Newland Archer through the parties, gossip, and scandal of the Countess. While the story-line is somewhat frustrating, the issues about society, class, and the way we perceive people is so timeless and applicable even today.
A Room of One's Own is an essay by Virginia Woolf about women in literature. It is interesting and she makes many solid arguments. In her essay, Woolf imagines that Shakespeare has a sister who has the same level of brilliance and talent, but who is never able to gain a creative outlet because of the constraints on women at the time. Good essay, not exactly leisurely.

3. Antony and Cleopatra by Shakespeare, and All for Love by John Dryden
What I am told is that All for Love was Dryden's attempt to "tidy up" Shakespeare's version of Antony and Cleopatra. It seems almost blasphemous to think that Shakespeare's work would need fixing, but I am human, so I appreciate the closure that Dryden gives in All for Love. He ties up a lot of loose ends and expounds on some of the issues that Shakespeare doesn't.

4. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
On top of all the assigned reading I have to do in Women's Lit, I have had to pick another book by a woman author and write a report on it. I picked this one because I started it this summer and I know I won't get a chance to finish it unless I make it a priority. If it is for a class, I can justify outside reading. Isn't that sad? Anyway, so far I am really enjoying it. It isn't a very difficult read and it is about a culture that I haven't read much about: China. The story is about two farmers who strive during the good years of harvest and make it through the difficult times of drought. I think I like it because crops and farming are things I can relate to; especially the feeling of having no rain. I haven't finished it yet, but so far I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment